These breakfast bars are chewy and crispy at the same time with the addition of a blueberry compote in the middle giving the perfect combination of tangy and sweet.
I really love the texture of the oat crumble and the taste overall, a great recipe if you are looking for somehing which isn’t too unhealthy while still being rich and delicious.
While I was researching for this recipe, I came across Blueberry Oat squares from Starbucks which apparently seem to be very popular. Although I honestly haven’t tried that out from any of the starbucks branches but these bars are very similar to it minus the high amounts of sugar and other nasties.
Blueberry Crumble BarsCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Medium
- Oats crumble
2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup finely chopped almonds
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
1 Tsp vanilla extract
- Blueberry filling
1 3/4 cups blueberries
2 Tbsp honey
Juice of half a lime
1 Tbsp cornstarch (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180oC and grease a medium sized pan and/or line it with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, with a spatula, mix together the oats, flour, almonds, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- After the dry ingredients are mixed, add in the oil, egg and vanilla extract and make sure the batter is evenly mixed.
- Add half of this crumble mixture on the pan and press it gently so that they are evenly spread. Bake for 7 minutes until you get a lightly golden crust.
- In the meantime, make the blueberry filling by adding the blueberries, honey and lime in a saucepan and let it boil for 2 mins with the lid on.
- If you plan on thickening this mixture with the cornstarch, add cornstarch in a small bowl with around three tbsp water and stir.
- Add the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and keep stirring until you get the desired consistency, then turn off the heat. Let Cool.
- Pour this blueberry compote on the baked crumble bar layer.
- Add the rest of the oats crumble on top of the blueberry mixture and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Let it cool for around an hour and then remove it from the pan and slice it into rectangles.
- Store them up in an airtight container or enjoy it right away!