I love to have something tangy yet sweet from time to time and a Lemon Cake like this one, works very well for me in satisfying those cravings.
If you are like me, and enjoy a slight tart flavour in your sweet dishes, you should put your aprons on right away and get ready to bake, I am sure you wouldn’t wanna miss this one.
The texture of this cake is rich and dense, similar to a pound cake and it’s flavoured with lemon zest and a lemon-sugar glaze on top.
If a lemon glaze does not appeal to you as much, you could replace the topping with a Vanilla sugar glaze instead and it’ll be just as good. I promise!
I have been using this lemon cake recipe for quite a while now and I love that it always come out really well and delicious. So do try it out and let me know what you think about it in the comments below.
Glazed Lemon Loaf CakeCourse: Snacks, DessertDifficulty: Easy
3 large eggs
200gms butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp yoghurt
1/4 cup milk (more, if required)
Lemon zest of 1 large lemon
Juice of half a lemon
1 ½ cup flour
½ Tsp baking powder
½ Tsp baking soda
½ Tsp salt
- For Lemon-Sugar Glaze
1 cup icing sugar
2-3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 165°C and grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk up the eggs. Add in the butter and sugar and continue whisking it.
- Add the yoghurt, milk, lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk up. Don’t worry about the milk solids breaking, mixture doesn’t have to be completely smooth, just well blended.
- Stir in the dry ingredients: Flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix in evenly.
- Add more milk if required, depending upon the texture of your batter. It has to be thick but also slightly pourable.
- Pour the batter in your loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes after baking and then remove from pan.
- For the glaze, just mix together the sugar and lemon juice in a bowl using a fork and then pour over the cake.
- You can decorate the cake with lemon slices or lemon zest or just slice it right away and dig in!
- To make a Vanilla sugar glaze, just alternate the lemon juice with Milk and a Tsp of Vanilla extract.