Baby Corn Manchurian is an Indian fusion appetizer that is both savoury and sweet.
I generally don’t fry baby corn, but I was inspired to try this after seeing a video on Cookd TV. Happy with how it turned out, I knew it would be something most of you would enjoy as well. I know my family loved it!
The baby corn is crispy and has a sweet chilli coating that makes it hard to stop indulging in.
It can be eaten as it is, or along with rice, noodles or Indian bread. Similar to my Honey Garlic Cauliflower (also called Gobi Manchurian), which most of you have enjoyed making, this Baby Corn Manchurian too, is sure to win hearts.
These recipes fall into the category of Indo-Chinese food, which is very much loved by Indians around the world.
How to make Baby Corn Manchurian
To make this, each baby corn is first chopped into around 6 equal pieces. They are then coated with a coating made with corn flour and all-purpose flour. Deep-fried until crispy and golden brown.
We then keep the fried corn aside and prepare the sweet chilli sauce. Once it’s ready, mix in the crispy baby corn pieces inside the sauce. I also like to add some diced capsicum, which you can alternate with spring onions or skip altogether. Transfer to a serving plate or bowl and serve!
Do also try Korean Gochujang Honey Shrimps, Honey-Garlic Cauliflower and Fried Chicken Bao Buns.
This recipe is quite easy and does not take much time either. It’s also totally okay to eyeball the measurements, since it is quite a flexible dish and a little here and there, does not make much of a difference.
Do make it and I hope you and your family will enjoy it!
RECIPE for Baby Corn Manchurian:
Baby Corn ManchurianCourse: Starters, AppetizersDifficulty: Easy
12 baby corn, chopped into 6 pieces each
3 Tbsp corn flour
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp red chilli powder
Water as needed for coating
- For the Sweet Chilli Sauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tbsp soya sauce
1 Tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
2 Tbsp ketchup
Cornflour slurry (1/2 Tbsp corn flour + 1/2 cup water)
1 small (or half) capsicum, diced
- Deep fry baby corn slices
- In a medium sized bowl, add corn flour, all-purpose flour, salt and red chilli powder. Mix them together followed by adding water, a couple teaspoons at a time, until it reaches a coat-able consistency.
- Add chopped baby corn in the batter and coat well. Deep fry in hot vegetable oil until it turns out crispy and golden brown.
- Prepare sweet chilli sauce
- In a stir-fry pan or pot, add vegetable oil on medium heat. Once it is mildly hot, add chopped onion, followed by ginger and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes. Stir in your salt.
- Pour in soya sauce, Thai chilli sauce and ketchup. Mix. Follow by adding in your corn flour slurry and stir until it thickens. Once thickened, add in diced capsicum and fried baby corn. Remove from heat and serve warm!