Filled with Asian flavours, Gochujang Honey Shrimps are tender, cooked well and delicious.
Have you guys tried Gochujang before?
It’s a fermented, sweet and spicy red chili paste that is very popular as a condiment in Korea. It is used often in Korean recipes as well. You will find it in many Asian or Korean food stores.
This was my first time buying it and I got one which was certified Halal, just to be sure.
Inspired by recipes on two different blogs (this, and this one) , I made this Gochujang Honey Shrimp that turned out so good. On another occasion, I have also tried these shrimps stir fried in noodles. It made for an amazing dinner, but it’s totally amazing just dipped in the gochujang-honey sauce.
After having these, I am sure I will be experimenting with Gochujang paste a lot more. They truly enhance a dish giving it the right level of spice. A taste of Asia that feels authentic and delicious, made easily and right at home.
Hope you enjoy them and make it again and again!
RECIPE for Gochujang Honey Shrimps:
Korean Gochujang Honey ShrimpCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
16-20 shrimps (large), peeled and deveined
3 tbsp Gochujang paste
1/3 cup honey
1-2 Tbsp soya sauce
1 Tbsp minced garlic/garlic paste
1 Tbsp ginger paste
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
5-6 Tbsp Corn starch, for coating
Topping options: sesame seeds, chopped green onions
- In a bowl, mix together gochujang, honey, soya sauce, minced garlic, ginger paste and sesame oil. Reserve half of this as the dipping sauce and use the rest to marinate the shrimps.
- Let the shrimps marinate in the mixture for atleast 2 hours to overnight.
- Once they are marinated, pick out the shrimp one after the other trying to get off all the excess marinade from it’s exterior and then lightly coat them with corn flour.
- In a non-stick frying pan over medium high heat, fry your shrimp until they are a bit crisp and cooked well on both sides. It may take about 10minutes.
- Lower the heat and pour the remaining marinade over the fried shrimp. Gently combine.
- Top with some sesame seeds and/or green onions and enjoy dipped in the reserved Gochujan Honey sauce.
- You can skip STEP 5, pouring the marinade over the fried shrimps, if you want to keep the shrimps crispier and less saucy.