Coffee Buns are soft buttery buns with a crispy outer coating infused with coffee. They can be enjoyed just as it is, or drizzled with a topping of your choice.
I am unsure where Coffee buns initiated from, but they were popularized by a few cafes across Asia. Pappa Roti and Roti Boy are two such popular spots. Coffee Buns are also often referred to as Mexican Buns.
The first time I tried this was at Pappa Roti located in Deira City Centre, a mall in Dubai. I went along with a friend and we ordered their specialty buns with Nutella. It was served warm, unbelievably soft and tasted so good.
I didn’t really think I could create them at home until I came across a recipe online and decided to give it a go. They turned out great, delicious, but I personally felt it could be better. I went through a few trial and errors to perfect this recipe before sharing it here.
By now, I must’ve made these almost 10 times already and I am confident that you guys will love making them too.
I suggest to enjoy them fresh out of the oven while they are still warm. You can pair it with a cup of coffee or any drink of your choice.
The crispiness of the coffee coating does fade away with time. This is why I highly recommend to prepare this closer to the time of consumption. However, you can store them in an airtight container and re-heat in a 160C oven for about 5-8mins and then consume it later.
Feeling Extra? Try making Roti-Bears
These buttery buns will surely keep you wanting more. I was feeling creative one day and tried a Teddy Bear Face version of these coffee buns. I ain’t too good in decoration so they aren’t very neat but I think it’s an amazing idea which you can try as well, especially if you have small kids.
Hope you like them and tag me in your creations (@ayshasaiha) and use hashtag #strawberrydesertwonders. I can’t wait to see what you made!
If you enjoyed this, do also try my Honey Comb Bread, Blueberry-Orange Rolls or Chocolate Rolls.
RECIPE for Mexican Coffee Buns:
Mexican Coffee Buns- Pappa Roti/ Roti BoyCourse: Snacks, BreakfastDifficulty: Medium
- For the Dough
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup melted butter
4 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 Tbsp instant dry yeast
- For the Coffee Topping
1/4 cup flour
3 Tbsp softened butter
3 Tbsp sugar
1/8 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp hot water + 1 Tsp coffee powder
1 small egg
- Prepare the Dough
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, add and stir together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together warm milk, melted butter, sugar and yeast in a cup and let it sit for 10mins to activate the yeast. After the yeast rises with bubbles on top, pour it into the flour mixture along with the egg.
- Using the hook attachment (or with your hand), start kneading the dough. Knead for 10-15 minutes until the dough becomes soft and smooth. Transfer dough into a lightly greased bowl and keep covered with a kitchen towel, to rise for an hour or two, until it doubles in size.
- Make the Coffee Topping while the Dough is proofing
- Add all the Coffee topping ingredients into a small-med sized bowl. Whisk until well incorporated. Transfer the topping into a piping bag and keep refrigerated until it’s time to use it.
- Roll out the Buns. Ice them with the Coffee Topping and bake.
- After the dough is proofed, transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 5-6 pieces and shape them into a ball.
- Transfer buns into a lined baking sheet. Cover them with a kitchen towel to proof for another 30minutes to rise in volume.
- Take out the Coffee Topping and pipe them onto the buns in a coil-like pattern upto 2/3rd of the surface. Bake in a pre-heated 180°C oven for around 20minutes. Once baked, let it cool on a wire rack for around 10minutes.
- Finally! Serve it warm with a cup of milk tea or coffee.
I want Asking About Online training
I am from Yemen
how i can takr courses Please
Donuts, Bombolinis & Rotiboy & Macaron
Can I have your WhatsApp No please to contact
I want Online Training By online Video and contact my Questions Online If I have any Questions
and follow me with cheif step by step by online video chat Please
My WhatsApp : 00966534846574
My email : [email protected]
Hey Khalid, I do not conduct online training or courses as of right now but feel free to ask any questions and queries related to the recipes posted on my blog.