It’s Cinnamon rolls season and if you haven’t made a batch of these yet, what are you waiting for?
This is an easy fall recipe which tastes incredible. The rolls are baked pillowy soft, with ample amount of cinnamon sugar. This gives it a beautiful flavour and it only gets better with a buttery cream cheese frosting on top!
While we do not really have a fall season here in the UAE, the weather however, is slowly dropping down. Baking during the cooler months is one of my favourite hobbies. It is the perfect time to get your whisks out and indulge in warm baked goodies. Don’t you agree?
Other Fall recipes you must try this month Classic Pecan Pie, Molten Lava Cake, Apple Fritters
Cinnamon rolls are a dessert loved by thousands all over the world. It is said to have its origins from Sweden where they call it Kanelbulle and also have a day to celebrate the dish. October 4th (which also happens to be the day I am writing this blogpost), is considered to be National Cinnamon Roll Day in Sweden and is also now celebrated worldwide.
With one search, you are sure to find hundreds and hundreds of variations for a Cinnamon roll recipe, but the concept remains the same. I am using an identical dough recipe as my Chocolate Rolls and Blueberry-Orange Rolls. Those are some great rolls too if you want to try out!
Cinnamon Rolls Before and After Baking
I have made these cinnamon buns multiple times now and I know the bread come out beautifully soft. When it comes to the cinnamon filling, you can really get flexible with the measurements. It’s basically just three ingredients, sugar, cinnamon and butter, add as much or as less as you like here. After all, it is your cinnamon roll, I am just sharing my recipe as a guide 😉
These rolls are great as it is, but I feel it’s incomplete without a cream cheese frosting so I suggest not to skip it. The frosting I have made here melts as you spread it on top of your freshly baked cinnamon rolls. It enriches the roll, complementing well with the flavour of cinnamon.
A great on-the-go breakfast treat or a perfect relaxing afternoon snack with a cup of coffee or maybe even a dessert for your next fall gathering. You and your guests are going to love it!
My mouth is almost watering just thinking about these and I am sure to bake another batch very soon. I hope you will try it too and do let me know how it goes!
RECIPE for Classic Cinnamon Rolls:
Classic Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese frostingCourse: Dessert, BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
- For the Dough
2 1/4 Tsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup whole milk
3 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- For the Filling
3 Tbsp white sugar
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
1-2 Tbsp cinnamon powder, as preferred
1/3 cup softened butter
- For the Cream cheese icing/frosting
1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups powdered icing sugar, sifted
- Prepare the Dough
- In a measuring cup or a glass, stir in the yeast and sugar together. In a pot, add water and milk and heat it until it is about 115°F or 46°C in temperature which is just warm enough to help proof the yeast without killing it. Pour milk mixture over the yeast, give it a stir and let it rest for about 10 minutes until you see bubbles popping on the top.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, stir together flour and salt. Follow by adding in the yeast mixture. Knead on low until it just comes together slightly. Then, add in the egg and melted butter and using a dough hook attachment of the stand mixer, start making the dough, knead it very well until you get a smooth ball. May take about 10 minutes, 20minutes if you are kneading by hand.
- Spread a little vegetable oil around the dough, keep it in a covered bowl for about an hour or two until it doubles in size. After it doubles in size, punch it down and transfer to a floured surface. Roll dough into a large rectangle sheet, approximately 1 cm thick.
- Layer your cinnamon filling on the rolled out dough
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon powder and sugars. You may do this before-hand and keep ready.
- Spread a generous layer of butter on top of the rolled out dough. Follow by adding a layer of the prepared cinnamon sugar, using up all of it and sprinkling up more sugar if preferred. Lightly press the cinammon sugar into the butter.
- Shape your cinnamon rolls and Bake
- Start rolling the dough tightly from the longest side until it forms into a log. Using a serrated knife, slice up the log into rolls approximately 2-inch slice each.
- Grease a large baking pan or sheet with butter and add the rolls onto it, swirl side facing up. Cover and rest for another 30minutes. until it doubles in volume. Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for about 30minutes. If the top of the cinnamon rolls, start browning a lot, then cover the top with a piece of foil and let it finish baking.
- Prepare and generously drizzle some cream-cheese frosting on top
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the cream cheese and butter together until no lumps remain. Follow by stirring in vanilla extract and then sift in icing sugar and it’s ready. You can prepare it a few days in advance and store it in the fridge. Keep it out in room temperature atleast an hour before you use it.
- Generously drizzle the cream cheese frosting on top of the warm, just baked cinnamon rolls and enjoy right away!